Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Our Hiking Adventures


     Brian and I found a hobby that we both LOVE to do together and that would be HIKING!  We are getting super into it after visiting West Virginia.  Every time we are in the woods and around nature we get all giggly and excited and we love to exercise- it's truly a win/win.  So we signed up for two challenges:
1.  The North Country Trail Challenge which you can read about here
2.  The Rachel Carson Trail Challenge which you can read about here

We are really motivated to earn these patches if we complete these challenges! 

We really want to train to do a long 18 or 32 mile hiking challenge- we have missed all the ones around our area but there is always next year!  (one of our goals is to do one of these!)

I was thinking about blogging our hiking trips.  I usually only bring my cell phone and my polaroid camera because I scrapbook/keep track of our hikes in a really cool little journal so the photos are NOT the best quality but I'm thinking about lugging one of my better cameras around with me so I can get some really nice nature shots.   That got me thinking of blogging our hikes and I think it would be fun to share it on here!

We have done three hikes since signing up for the challenges so I will write about all three of them in this post then the rest will be separate posts. 



-Our first hike for the challenge was in North Park on the Rachel Carson Trail- we ended up on a really beautiful section of the trail with a creek - we love to be near water on trails!  We spent a good amount of time exploring and enjoying the scenery instead of actually hiking but we did about 4.5 miles total and put that on our trail log! These are a few of my photos I took with my cell phone during our hike:










     -Our second hike was on the North Country Trail and we picked up the trail at Moraine State Park.  We hiked a little over 4 miles and the trail was right around the lake so it offered beautiful views!  It was an easier hike than we were use to as it was pretty flat and not very challenging - but that's okay too!  We plan to go back and do a different section of the trail this weekend. 











Again, sucky cell phone photos but hey- it is what it is.


     -The last hike in this post was our first ever night hike and it was a group hike lead by a guide for the Rachel Carson Trail - so we got some more miles in for the RCTC!  We met at the park at 9pm and hiked until 11:30.  It was titled, "Full Moon Summer Hike" and it was pretty epic!  We did about 5 miles total and it was under the full moon (mars was out and very bright too- I think it was the closest to Earth in a long time) and there was lighting in the distance so it made for an erie feeling.   We all had flashlights and headlamps!  We ended up hiking right behind our guide and got to talk to him a bit about any pointers he had.  He was in his mid 60's and could really move- I did wonder if we could keep up with him!  He told us how to read the blazes on the trail (there is a little bit of science there!)  and what headlamps to invest in if we wanted to do more night hikes.  It was really a unique hike- you would shine your flashlight into the woods and see 20 glowing eyes staring back at you!  The deer were EVERYWHERE! 

Once we got back to the park, they had snacks waiting for us and the guide even offered us some beer- it was really fun!  We totally passed out for the night when we got home!  I tried to film and take some photos but it was really hard when walking and taking photos with just a flashlight in hand in the pitch black- so I did my best to document it below!








Here are some videos from the NCT in Moraine as well (very short clips):

  I will be sure to keep updating the blog with our hikes, I know I have kind of fallen off the blog wheel but I'm going to try to keep up with it a little better ( I think I say that in every post! lol)

Hope you all have a great week and see you all soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment