Thursday, September 15, 2016

Day 4 - Reykjavik City Exploring

Well Hello There All!
     Last night Brian and I had hit our wall.  We were so extremely exhausted we decided not to set an alarm and sleep as long as we needed and use tomorrow as a day to explore and shop around Reykjavik.  We slept in until about 11am.  We really needed the sleep.  We woke up and cleaned up the room and then decided to venture out in search of food and to go shopping and explore the capital!  We walked down to the city and was about to go into a restaurant when I remembered the famous hot dogs we needed to try! I couldn't remember where the stand was but we decided to use it as an adventure.  We walked down to the ocean and took photos and then went to the concert hall to have a look around.  They have so many cool handmade gifts here in Iceland. I think I have two complaints about things here in Iceland and trust me, I LOVE it here and I hate to even have any complaints at all- 1. The tourism seems to have exploded since I was here five years ago and it was a bit much sometimes but I'm happy Iceland is making money from it and 2. Everything is so expensive, more so than I remember.  A necklace I would gladly pay up to 50 dollars for is over 100 dollars.  Scarves are around 80 dollars.  I want to buy things to take home for people and I just can't afford it.  If I could get three scarves for 80 dollars- I'd buy three!!! It's just so pricey!  It's a shame really since there are SO MANY cool things! I did break down and buy a music box that is handmade and plays old Nordic Songs and it was ... lets just say a lot.  I wish I would have wrote down who the artist was but I completely forgot.  We walked across the street after we saw some of the ships in their ports and figured it may be close since cruise shipped stopped there.  We were right!  Once we got across the street I saw it surrounded by a ton of people.  We almost didn't wait but so glad we did.  We got in line and it went pretty quick.  We both got two hot dogs each (though I should have stuck with just one) and each of us got it with everything on it.  It has cooked and raw onions, some kind of fried breaded crumbles, ketchup, mustard and some kind of hot dog gravy that they use.  Brian loved them as much as I did.  They are actually lamb hot dogs - yes guys, I hate lamb....- anyways, I ate one and a half of mine and Brian ate both of his.  It really hit the spot.  You stand outside to eat it and it was rainy but so worth it.  Afterwards, we went shopping and walking around the stores and stopped at the main church where you had to pay 8 bucks to take the elevator to the top.  This was also worth the view.  It was just beautiful.  Everyone has a different color roof.  Even Brian is so happy to see how colorful Iceland is even though it's pretty much rained all week.  It's cold but not too bad at all!  When we left the church we came across a waffle stand and we got a waffle with chocolate syrup - SO GOOD! They had all sorts of flavors and I wish I could try them all!
   We then walked back in the rain to the hotel but first stopped at the grocery store so Brian could get his favorite cookies that he found here.  They are wheatmeal biscuits with caramel covered in milk chocolate and sooooo good.  When we got back and changed out of our wet clothes, we laid down on the bed and next thing we knew it was two hours later.  We decided to go downstairs to the restaurant in the hotel and eat at VOX.  It was really fancy and soooo good (THANKS VCM!!!!)!!  I had some wine and Brian got black label scotch. We were served bread that was so fresh and so good with butter that they serve on a Lava rock! SO COOL! I decided to get the fresh local fish called, Plaice and it was incredible, melt in your mouth amazingness! Brian got lamb and potatoes and it looked delicious so I had to try a bite- it was just as incredible!  He loved it too!!! I'm so proud of him for trying new things like this!  He even loved the mustard on the hot dogs earlier today and he normally hates mustard!  We couldn't fit desert if we wanted to so we huge out and talked before our check came.  I have to go back down there for the Skyr desert with blueberries either tomorrow or Saturday! I love the Skyr so much!  It was a great dinner and I don't think I ever had a fish so tasty as today!

     We came back up to the room and cleaned it up a bit and started to pack our bags for our trip to the blue lagoon tomorrow.  We are planning on having a nice breakfast and then a bus to the lagoon.  We will have about three hours to swim and have some fun and then get ready for our dinner reservations at 7pm at Lava.  The last bus home is at 9:15 so we have to make sure to be done and ready for the bus right away...
It's gonna be crazy but fun.  I miss our rental car lol!  I am so sad that we only have two more full days here. I just love it so much here! I feel so lucky to be able to experience this for the second time!

Please note these photos are straight out of my camera. I have not edited them though I wish I could (no time to do it here). I can't wait to get to work on some of these - Enhance color, crop them and so fourth... I hate to say it but I think my camera is coming to an end.  It was in the rain for a short time today and the shutter is getting slower.  It's pretty old so it may be time to invest in a new one.... I just hope it doesn't die for the rest of the trip!!! I haven't switched to my 50mm lens at all either- I have been loving my zoom for the majority of the situations to photograph.

P.s. the color of their homes here... dreams come true!









































No comments:

Post a Comment