Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Day 2 - Driving from Reykjavik to Vik

Today we woke up bright and early at 6:30am! I am not a morning person...so...this was big!  That means back at home it would be 2:30am! We wanted to get a start on my plan to drive to Vik in our rental car.  Our tiny, tiny, tiny rental car...

We got ready and went downstairs to eat breakfast.  It was not included with our room booking so it was rather expensive but so good!  We had skyr, grilled tomatoes, eggs, bacon that was incredible and orange juice.  They had muffins, coffee, omelets, cereal- so much to choose from and we didn't have to walk or drive anywhere.  After breakfast we came back to our room and packed our bags to start on our 2 hour 23 minute drive to the town of Vik! I made sure to have my cameras, Tripod and we decided to stop at a gas station for water and a few candy bars! You never know when hunger can strike.
     Our photos do not do this country justice.  It was one of the most exciting things I have done in my life!  At one point it was so windy our little car was waving all about.  We pulled over at an overlook and snapped a few photos as the wind nearly knocked us over.
  My hair has never had so many knots ...ever.  I just brushed the last one out!

We drove for a while through small towns and stopped to use a restroom (surprisingly very clean at a gas station) and were on our way to the first stop of the trip.

 Two waterfalls: Seljalandsfoss and Gljufrabui.  We stopped at Seljalandsfoss first and it was incredible!  The waterfall was so tall and beautiful with the mist coming down and showering us with cool water... we snapped tons of photos.  The next waterfall was the one I was looking forward to, Gljufrabui.  I knew it was hidden and you could drive there but we decided to walk.  It wasn't too far up the road but a lot of people miss it and don't get to see how truly awesome it is!  This was by far one of the coolest things I have seen in my life.  You walk through these two cracks in a huge cliff/mountain and walk along a stream until you come to the waterfall.  It took our breath away - we also got soaked.  We didn't care, we stood there in complete awe!  We wish we could have stayed longer but we had a lot to do today - back in the car we went, super hyper and happy from our first experience.









We left and stopped by Eyjafjallajokull on our way to our next destination. This was the volcano, if you remember, that erupted in April of 2010 and halted air traffic along with a lot of scary stuff in Iceland!




Our next stop was an interesting one... to say the least.  We drove about further down the road to stop at Seljavallalaug Pool.  It was the first Icelandic Pool built in 1923.  You park by another swimming pool that was built later but closed down.  We parked and needed to change into our suits despite tourists coming and going in the cars.  We got dressed in the car as quickly as possible- I'm sure no one saw us... yep- very sure?  We laughed it off and since people camp in Iceland and don't always have bathrooms, avoided some human poo that wasn't cleaned up -yep. SO GROSS!  But we were on our way.  You have to hike towards a mountain and cross a stream on a 15 - 20 minute walk there.  You can't see it at first- it's actually hidden which is so cool.  Eventually you can see the pool.  It's the most incredible thing, there is an old changing area and it's super dirty.  Kinda gross but we walked over the stream and up to the pool and changing area so we could take a dip.  They pump natural water that is heated by steam into the pool and no matter what the weather it's like stepping into a bathtub!  We got down to our suits and slipped into the pool.  The ground was all mossy and strange and the water a weird green with algae or moss floating in it.  I have never felt so awesome, high on life, excited, happy and absolutely filthy all at the same time.  We swam around and took  in the scenery.  The fun needed to end so we had to get out and make our way into the gross cold and dirty changing rooms.  We changed as quickly as possible and people would open the door as you were butt naked (no locks) and they would excuse themselves and shut the door.  We had a good laugh after my anxiety attack about it but that pool made it all worth it. 





We got back to the car and warmed up a bit.
Onto the next stop: Skogafoss Waterfall.  

We didn't have to drive far to see this bad boy off the side of the road! We pulled off and walked up to the falls to snap some awesome photos of this waterfall.  We then had the brilliant idea to hike the stairs to the top.  I am out of shape. TOTALLY out of shape.  By the time we go to the top the wind was so crazy, I found myself a little scared! I had a hard time going further but I did! We climbed out onto the overlook that was SO HIGH and then climbed over a ladder over barbed wire to see the river at the top of the falls.  I don't think I got a photo of the ladder we had to climb over the barbed wire ... totally should have showed you what we had to do... 
Down was much easier and when we go the car we needed food.  







Onto Vik!!!! I have wanted to visit Vik since I first read about Iceland and didn't get a chance to the last time I was here.  Today was the day I was going to walk on the black sand beaches and see one of the most beautiful sites of my life and also my favorite thing we have done yet this trip!  But first, we needed food.  It was about another 25 minutes to Vik and I had the Berg (not Pittsburgh lol just Berg, like iceberg...) picked out but when we got to Vik, even though it's a small town, we couldn't find the place! We drove around in circles in a hunger daze and stopped in a local grocery store.  Iceland is more expensive than I remember but we picked up some snacks and were on our way.  They had some interesting things! The fruit tho---little scary. 
We found a diner in the town and as soon as we walked in we made our order.  I got fish and chips and Brian got a burger.  It really wasn't good. I can't even remember what the place was called.  The guy at the counter hit on me and it was really awkward in front of Brian.  I just tried to ignore it and we sat and ate as quickly as we could so we could move on even though the view of the town and ocean was incredible!  After the restaurant disappointment but food in our bellies we walked down to the beach at Vik. The sun was starting to set and you could hear the waves before you could see the ocean.  They sounded huge and when we got there we saw that they were! I ran up to the water and put my hand in!  It was so cold but felt like such a rush! The ocean foam surrounded my hands and I just felt like the happiest person on the planet.  The photos and scenery were incredible and since we were tyring to make it back before sunset we had to be on our way.  I was NOT ready to leave but we had a 2 and a half hour drive in front of us.  









We then drove the rest of the way home and the weather was beautiful, the sun came out and it was warm enough to not need your winter coat.  The drive home was beautiful but the sun was in our face the whole time.  We got back to our hotel to shower and wash off all the algea and dirtiness.  I feel so much better now.  I even had to do some laundry in our tub since we have to wear some of the same things over again.  

I wish I could edit some of the videos and post some on here but it's taking me pretty long to write these posts and I'm pooped! I promise when I get home to complete an awesome video of our trip.  Some of the videos are better than the photos! I'm so excited! I can't wait to edit it all and it's only Tuesday!  We are suppose to go to the secret lagoon tomorrow but I think we are going to switch it up.  Brian seems to be really loving it here.  He was so excited in the car today pointing and ooooing and awwwing!  I am loving that he loves it! He's like a kid in a candy store here! 






Well it's 8:30 for you guys but 12:30 for me. I have to get some sleep. Love you all and thank you for reading! Xo 

1 comment:

  1. I recently found many useful information in your website especially this blog page. Among the lots of comments on your articles. Thanks for sharing. drink drive lawyer Auckland

    ReplyDelete